Leather Shot Bags & Accouterments for the French & Indian War.

Leather Shot Bags & Accouterments for the French & Indian War.
Welcome to my Blog! My name is Darrel Lang and I specialize in the Replication of Leather shot bags & Accouterments made in the colonies by the harness and saddle maker of the18th century. All items are hand sewn using waxed linen thread, dyed, then treated with neatsfoot oil & bee’s wax. The leather used is of veg. tanned cow hide 2-3 or 4-5 oz. weight. Other materials used are pig skin, period correct linens for the 18th century and iron or brass buckles. Please take a look at what I have to offer. Thank you!

March 27, 2015

Leather Covered Water Bottle

Last weekend I spent Saturday roaming the isle's of tables that filled the three rooms at the Kalamazoo Trade Show. At one such table I came across this nice leather covered water bottle with a great price on it. It was just the right size for a day in the woods or on the battle field. I had to have it. The leather work done to cover the bottle was very good and the leather strap was OK but, not what I would want. It had a large brass harness buckle held in place with rivets and on the other end of the strap a brass D-ring again held in place with brass looking rivets but, I know someone that can fix it.
I first removed the leather strap and then dyed the leather bottle a little darker then rubbed in some neets-foot oil and then worked in some bee's wax. I took the tails of the bottle where the buckle and D-ring were attached folded them over and stitch down each side giving it a little more durability. I then cut out a new strap folding and stitching up each end then dying it to match.
I attached the strap to the bottle by using a heavy waxed linen thread and passing it through the ends of the strap several time then tying it off. I think it looks pretty good and will be a nice addition to my kit.
The bottom of the bottle is formed flat so that it sits upright and not lying on it side.         

No comments: