Leather Shot Bags & Accouterments for the French & Indian War.

Leather Shot Bags & Accouterments for the French & Indian War.
Welcome to my Blog! My name is Darrel Lang and I specialize in the Replication of Leather shot bags & Accouterments made in the colonies by the harness and saddle maker of the18th century. All items are hand sewn using waxed linen thread, dyed, then treated with neatsfoot oil & bee’s wax. The leather used is of veg. tanned cow hide 2-3 or 4-5 oz. weight. Other materials used are pig skin, period correct linens for the 18th century and iron or brass buckles. Please take a look at what I have to offer. Thank you!

April 27, 2015

Over the Shoulder Carriage

I just finished making up these two over the shoulder carriage. I made one up for myself several years back to carry my belt ax and my long knife. I have since quit using the long knife and only carry the ax. I used a double frog and added a shoulder strap to it. With the knife gone I modified it to a single frog. It can be used to carry a hunting sword, ax or bayonet. Made from 4/5 oz. veg tanned leather, the strap is 1 1/2"wide with a iron buckle.
I made up the two, one is sold the other will be for sale at Martians Station. "The ax is not included"

  

April 14, 2015

Small Poll Ax & Leather Sheath

I just finished up this set. It's a much lighter alternative to a belt axe. This axe is made to be carried over the shoulder. The sheath is made from 4-5oz. veg tan leather, hand stitched and dyed a dark brown and treated with bee's wax. The strap is 3/4" wide and adjustable with a iron buckle.The head is forged from medium carbon steel with a slight hammered finish and it has an oval eye. The size is about 4 1/4" long and has a 2" in cutting edge. The axe is fitted with a 12" hickory handle.I pick up the ax head and handles from a maker in PA I fit the handle to the head and apply the finish
.


April 13, 2015

Fringed Shot Bag

Special ordered bag for a customer. The bag is 6" wide by 6" deep, welted seams. There is a small inside pocket 4" wide by 3 1/2" deep. The flap has been trimmed out with a heavy linen. The strap is 1 1/4" wide then taper down to fit a 1" iron buckle. He also ask that the bag too be dyed black.
The bag is all hand done, sewn with waxed linen thread and treated with neetsfoot oil and bee's wax.

Finished Shot Bag

The finished size of the bag is 6 1/2" wide by 7 1/4" deep with a 1" wide gusset also welted seams.
There is a small inside pocket 4" wide by 3 1/2" deep. The strap is 1" wide with a iron buckle.
The bag is all hand done with waxed linen thread and dyed a dark brown and treated with neetsfoot  oil and bee's wax.


April 1, 2015

Burning Glass & Case

I have always wanted to add a burning glass to my fire starting kit, so when at the Kalamazoo show a few weekends back I picked up this small burning glass for $2.00. I decided I need to make up a leather case for it to keep the edges of the glass from chipping or it breaking altogether.
Not sure as of yet if I will add it to my kit or maybe carry it my pocket with my folding knife or add it to my shot bag. Time will tell.
This is what I came up with. I tooled the sun on the front just because! 

March 27, 2015

Leather Covered Water Bottle

Last weekend I spent Saturday roaming the isle's of tables that filled the three rooms at the Kalamazoo Trade Show. At one such table I came across this nice leather covered water bottle with a great price on it. It was just the right size for a day in the woods or on the battle field. I had to have it. The leather work done to cover the bottle was very good and the leather strap was OK but, not what I would want. It had a large brass harness buckle held in place with rivets and on the other end of the strap a brass D-ring again held in place with brass looking rivets but, I know someone that can fix it.
I first removed the leather strap and then dyed the leather bottle a little darker then rubbed in some neets-foot oil and then worked in some bee's wax. I took the tails of the bottle where the buckle and D-ring were attached folded them over and stitch down each side giving it a little more durability. I then cut out a new strap folding and stitching up each end then dying it to match.
I attached the strap to the bottle by using a heavy waxed linen thread and passing it through the ends of the strap several time then tying it off. I think it looks pretty good and will be a nice addition to my kit.
The bottom of the bottle is formed flat so that it sits upright and not lying on it side.